Basingstoke Town 1 Bristol Manor Farm 3

Basingstoke Town 1 Bristol Manor Farm 3
A brace from Jordan Metters helped Manor Farm to all three points in a well-
deserved victory over struggling Basingstoke Town.
Exiled to Winchester whilst they await a move back home, the Dragon’s huffed
and puffed but time and again ran up against a resolute and robust Manor Farm
back four in no mood to see their own house blown down.
In the earliest stage of the game the home side came closest to scoring first
when Ben Wright smashed a half volley over the bar from twelve yards out but
moments later up the other end Manor Farm took an early lead when birthday
boy Lewis Bamford cleverly worked the ball past his marker through the inside
right channel before burying the ball into the far corner of the net.
Town’s Bradley Wilson then had two chances to pull the sides level – shooting
over the bar during a melee in the box in the 7 th minute and shortly afterwards
pulling a shot narrowly wide of Ben John’s far post.
Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist had an industrious run and shot smothered by
Basingstoke keeper Freddie Gee midway through the half before the injured
goal-scorer Bamford was replaced by Joe Tumelty.
For the visitors Joe McClennan was always a lively threat – attacking the home
rearguard at pace whenever the opportunity presented itself but it was from a
close range effort that the forward almost doubled his sides lead just before
half-time when his snap-shot went inches past the post.
Manor Farm couldn’t have asked for a better start to the second half when
attacking deep into a crowded Basingstoke penalty area Jordan Metters was able
to drive the ball home past Gee to double The Portwaymen’s lead.
Farm ‘keeper Ben John ensured the lead was retained with a couple of smart
saves – one from a free-kick on the left and a great diving stop that saw the
rebound fly over the bar.
Whilst Basingstoke carried a threat on the break they rarely looked like getting
the better of a back four brilliantly marshalled at its’ heart by skipper Steve
Kingdon and Josh Nelmes.
For the home side chances became rarer as the game went on – Ben Wright’s
good turn and shot that flew wide with twenty minutes left to play a rare
opening in the games closing quarter.

Farm full back Tyler Ashmead had a good run and shot from the right and
Leigh-Gilchrist hit a ball just over the bar during a sustained period of Farm
pressure down the left. With just over ten minutes to play Leigh-Gilchrist then
screwed a shot narrowly wide.
In the 82 nd minute the game suddenly took on a different complexion when
Basingstoke skipper Dean Stow pulled a goal back for the home side with a
tremendous curling left foot effort high into the corner from 22 yards. Five
minutes later Ben John collected the ball comfortably from a close range header
following a corner as Basingstoke desperately sought an equaliser.
In the final two minutes of regular time McClennan’s shot on the turn was
smothered by Gee after excellent work by Metters. His namesake Jordan
Edwards was then sent off for the home side for a second yellow card offence.
With Basingstoke pressing for parity in injury time Farm broke with clinical
pace and precision with McClennan switching play with a beautiful cross-field
pass to Metters on the right who powered a slide rule shot past Gee to make the
final score 3-1 to The Farm.
With four of their five league victories coming on the road, Manor Farm will
look to replicate their away form and up their home tally of wins in a Bristol
derby this coming Saturday against Mangotsfield United.
STAR MAN (Joe McClennan, Bristol Manor Farm)