MATCH REPORT: Slimbridge 1-1 Bristol Manor Farm

There was plenty of huff and puff on show at a sunny but typically breezy Wisloe Road on Monday afternoon as Slimbridge and Manor Farm – both looking for a first win of the campaign – finally both had to settle for a point.

The home side got off to a flyer when left winger Marley Thomas got around Mason Winter in the 3rd minute and crossed into the centre of the box where the ball eventually found Ethan Dunbar, unmarked at the back stick, who gleefully nodded home.

Farm came close to equalising just before the quarter-hour mark. Marcus Day cut in from the left to force a good save from Lewis Adams. The resultant corner was cleared to the edge of the Slimbridge box and Steve Kingdon shot narrowly past the post.

Six minutes before the break Mike Bryant was on hand deep inside his own box to prevent Slimbridge extending their lead, throwing himself in front of a dangerous cross to put the ball behind for a corner.

In time added on Farm also had a very decent-looking handball shout for a penalty turned down.

Farm were much better value at the start of the second half with Lloyd Mills going close with a half-chance while at the other end Kingdon did well to clear over his own bar under pressure.

Just past the hour, Manor Farm levelled when Day attacked through the inside left channel before sliding a nice pass through to Owen Howe who powered into the box to score with a firm strike back across Adams.

With Farm enjoying a period of ascendency proceedings were dramatically interrupted when the referee fell worryingly ill before being replaced by one of his linesmen and a qualified assistant was found in the crowd to run the line instead.

Play was halted for a good ten minutes or so. Thankfully the referee recovered well enough to leave the field on his feet but the interruption knocked the visitors out of a good rhythm.

Slimbridge got back into the game and created three good chances which Ben John was more than equal to – firstly saving one-handed from a wickedly deflected shot, then punching a good effort clear with both fists before smothering the ball low at point blank range from the third.

With a long period of added time ticking away Farm almost snatched all three points when Day had another good run before setting up substitute Evander Grubb whose fierce strike was well pushed out for a corner by Adams.

(STAR MAN – Ben John)