Steve Hillier Memorial Cup: Round Two Recap

Bristol Manor Farm and Shirehampton will face-off for the second time in 14 days, this time for the final of the Steve Hillier Memorial Cup. After a lengthy absence from competitive football, both sides will be pleased to have made it this far in the competition; In our latest update, we look back on the second-round and how both clubs made it to the final. 

Off the back of two strong performances over Shirehampton and Avonmouth, the Farm had their work cut out for them when it was confirmed that they would face Hallen AFC in the second-round. Hallen are a side currently plying their trade in the Western League Premier Division, and this had all the makings to become Manor Farm’s toughest test yet. 

But much like his previous performance, Owen Howe continued his strong start to pre-season by scoring inside six minutes at The Creek. Howe collected the ball on the half-turn, and guided a powerful strike in the bottom right-hand corner. 1-0 to the Farm. 

Much like their previous match against Avonmouth, the Portwaymen were made to pay for their missed opportunities as Hallen found themselves a leveller. Mason Winter’s foul on his man at the back post gave the referee no option but to point to the spot. Kyle Thomas stepped up and dispatched his penalty past Ben John.

The result, however, would end favourably for Manor Farm as Steve Kingdon and Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist’s goals guided them to a 3-1 victory. 

In the second semi-final of the competition, Shirehampton matched up with Roman Glass with the winner facing Manor Farm in the final. 

The match sprung into life on 15 minutes when Shirehampton’s Richard Brightwell curled an effort goal-wards, beating Ross Grimshaw in the Roman Glass net, but his strike cannoned off the post to keep the scoreline level. 

Brightwell would eventually redeem himself when he setup a well worked team goal for Shirehampton. Brightwell stole the ball from his opposite number, found Simpson who, in turn, played a ball to Greening who calmly slotted the ball into the net. 

On the hour mark, Shirehampton all but sealed the tie when they made it two. A devilish corner from James Kenway was nodded in by Johan, giving Roman Glass a steep mountain to climb in their search of a way back into the match. 

Roman Glass would be denied at every goalscoring opportunity, with Fitzpatrick making two fine blocks to squander any late fightback. Shire almost made it three when Johan’s cutback to Simpson was intercepted by the recovering Josh Cann.

Bristol Manor Farm will host Shirehampton for the final of the Steve Hillier Memorial Cup tomorrow afternoon at 4pm. Due to the current government and Southern League guidelines this match will unfortunately be played behind-closed-doors. The Bristol Manor Farm Social Club, however, will be taking bookings for our newly installed marquee – giving you the opportunity to soak up the atmosphere whilst enjoying food and drinks.