MATCH REPORT: Bristol Manor Farm 1-3 Bishops Cleeve

Nine-man Bristol Manor Farm suffer defeat at home to Bishop’s Cleeve in a game marred by several controversial decisions, writes Jack Davies.

Manor Farm started brightly and could have led inside a minute. Grubb robbed possession deep inside Bishop territory and his feed found Day who hit the outside of the post.

The visitors’ first opening fell to forward Jack Watts who headed just wide following a dead ball delivery.

Skipper Aron Robbins was next to go close. His effort from fully 30 yards whistled along the ground and was well-tipped wide by Lewis Clayton.

Bishop’s Cleeve’s opener was from the very top drawer. Lorcan Sheehan let fly from 25 yards and the ball arrowed in the far top corner.

Farm almost got an instant response through Owen Howe. Grubb’s shot was deflected, and the spinning ball just evaded the striker at the back post whilst incredibly, a goal kick was the eventual decision.

That man Howe would make no mistake the second time though. Grubb again, somehow evading 3 defenders before his shot was parried to Howe by keeper Clayton. The big man still had plenty to do with an ever-rising ball but he lashed his volley into the very top corner for 1-1.

The man in the middle would be centre of attention in a wild few minutes before the break. Firstly, teenager Harry Lucas was on the end of a pretty horrid two-footed tackle from Archie Hayskane, only a yellow verdict despite the whistle having already gone before the challenge.

The next moment saw both teams reduced to 10 men. Cleeve defender Shane Anson appeared to strike Owen Howe’s face following a scuffle and Howe was also shown a red card much to his bemusement.

Manor Farm started the second half brightly too. Day jinked inside two challenges and hit the side netting before Grubb weaved past four or five tackles only for his cross to just be a touch top-heavy for Jayden Neilsen.

Farm’s best chance for a crucial second followed the pass of the season. Theo Llewellyn sliced through the defence, but Grubb’s low effort was blocked by Clayton.

Cleeve stole ahead in the 83rd minute. Harrison Reeves forced his way through two tackles before calmly rolling the ball into the far corner.

The Farm would be forced to see the game out with nine men minutes later. Llewelyn sent off for a late challenge not too dissimilar to the one Cleeve’s captain saw yellow for in the first half.

The visitors put the game to bed on the counter as Farm hunted an equaliser. Jack Watts on the second attempting putting the ball past Ben John.