MATCH REPORT: Didcot Town 2-0 Bristol Manor Farm (FA Cup)

Bristol Manor Farm’s FA Cup adventure was cut short on Saturday afternoon as they lost a very even encounter against Didcot Town at Loop Meadow, writes Jack Davies.

The £12 entry fee proved to be a fantastic bargain for supporters, as they witnessed an action-packed 90 minutes of football in Oxfordshire. Didcot midfielder Adam Learoyd forced a close range save from Farm stopper Seth Locke, before Owen Brain too called the home keeper Leigh Bedwell into making a smart stop. Manor Farm almost took turn lead in spectacular style on the half hour. Jayden Nielsen collected and took aim from fully 30 yards but his effort just didn’t dip in time to creep under the crossbar. Didcot would come the closest before the break. Learoyd rose highest to head at goal, but he clipped the top of the bar and the ball bounced over to safety.

Mason Winter amongst the action at Loop Meadow. Alex Barnham Photography ©

The second half was much in keeping with the end-to-end nature of the first as a real cup tie feel fell over the game. Brain beat past three defenders out wide early in the half but his low cross evaded both Farm forwards and the far post. Bedwell was then called into action twice more before the hour. His first save from Nielsen’s low drive was impressive but his second is any minutes was even better. Brain again got to byline before crossing to Grubb, who was somehow denied as close range. Finding no way through via usual means, Farm resorted to an attempt at the spectacular. Mason Winter went for goal from the halfway line and was a little unlucky to see the effort not come down in time. Not for the first time this season, Farm would be punished after not capitalising on their good pressure. Didcot took the lead with a little over 10 to play in rather bizarre fashion. James Glover sent a ball long and a combination of a feint touch by Robbie Gallagher and an awkward bounce off the turf, saw the ball divert all the way in with not even the home team sure who got the decisive touch. Didcot did miss two glaring chances, as Farm through men forward, but would double their lead in injury time. Putland and Gallagher blazed over from near open goals before Cameron McNiell headed home to put the tie beyond Farm.